Our school has a long and proud history and this extends un-broken from 1881.
The Laidley Creek area was first discovered by Allan Cunningham’s party in 1823 on their way to discovering Cunningham’s Gap. It was not until 1876 that the community began lobbying for a school to be placed at Thornton.
On 20 July, 1881 William Watkins informed the Department of Education that the provisional school building was ready.
The first head teacher Mr WJ Mitchell opened the school on 11 October, 1881. On 11 October, 1888 the department recommended that a State School be erected on the site to supersede the provisional school.
The new State School was first occupied on 10 March, 1890 by the Head Teacher, M. O’Conner and his pupils.
A tennis court was made by the school community in 1961.
On 29 of January 1963 a new school building was opened approximately 4 km closer to Laidley on the current Thornton School site. Because of increased enrolments, the old Townson School was moved to its new site, first for use as a classroom and now as a library. A tennis court and cricket pitch was built on the grounds in 1979.
In 1973, a septic block was built and an adventure playground commenced in 1979.
In 2010 a new building was delivered for use as an extra classroom, leaving the old Townson School as the school office.